Click this link for the October 2016 issue of the Scriptum.
Update as of 3:30 p.m., Wednesday, Sept. 28:
– The Linn County Courthouse will continue to be closed through and including Friday, Sept. 30. All matters set for hearing will be continued to a later date. The Courthouse is aiming to resume operations Monday, Oct. 3 but that decision has not yet been made. All jury trials set for Monday, Oct. 3 will be reset, however.
– The Juvenile Justice Center will reopen to the public Thursday, Sept. 29 at 8 a.m.
FEDERAL COURT: The Federal Courthouse in Cedar Rapids will remain closed through Friday, Sept. 30. The building will reopen Monday, Oct. 3. Electronic filing remains available this week, and the Sioux City courthouse (712-233-3900) remains open for regular business.
Update as of 12:45 p.m., Monday, Sept. 26:
FEDERAL COURT: There will be no hearings at the Federal Courthouse the week of September 26-30.
Update as of 12:56 p.m., Friday, Sept. 23:
STATE COURT: The District Court Administrator for the Sixth Judicial District has announced that ALL hearings and trials held at the LINN COUNTY COURTHOUSE on Monday through Wednesday, September 26-28, will be continued and reset to a later date due to the predictions of flooding to the courthouse. Reset orders will go out as soon as possible.
FEDERAL COURT: The Clerk of Court for the U.S. District Court, Northern District of Iowa, has announced the FEDERAL COURTHOUSE in Cedar Rapids will be closed Monday and Tuesday, Sept. 26 & 27. All hearings for those two days will be rescheduled. Court staff, however, will be teleworking and available, and electronic filing will remain available.
Periodically, the Linn County Bar Association Charitable Donations Committee distributes grants to nonprofit organizations. The committee that reviews requests for these funds has the following objectives to determine which organizations will receive funding:
Objectives of LCBA Charitable Donation:
- To support organizations or entities that provide legal services to individuals in Linn County who would otherwise be under or unrepresented in our judicial system.
- To support organizations, projects or entities that make the judicial system in Linn County more accessible to the public.
- To promote the development, recognition, understanding and appreciation of the legal profession in Linn County.
All applications must be returned no later than October 7, 2016 via mail to Gary Streit, Shuttleworth &Ingersoll, P.L.C., P.O. Box 2107, Cedar Rapids, IA 52406, or email to email@example.com.
The LCBA will be holding its second social hour with members of the bench on Tuesday, August 30 starting 4:30 p.m. at White Star Alehouse.
Hon. Jane Spande will be retiring Friday, September 2, 2016, after 31 years of administering justice in the Sixth Judicial District. The court will be celebrating her retirement with an Open House in Courtroom 1-C at the Linn County Courthouse on Wednesday, August 31. Please click Judge Spande’s Retirement Announcement for more information.
The Magistrate/Associate District Court Nominating Commission announced three finalists August 26 for the position of Associate District Court Judge to fill the vacancy caused by the retirement of the Honorable Jane Spande. The finalists are:
– Justin Lightfoot
– Nicholas Scott
– Michael Lahammer
The District Court Judges for the Sixth Judicial District shall convene at 1:30 p.m. on Wednesday, August 31 to select the next Associate District Court Judge from the finalists.
Attorney Gordon Fischer is presenting a free 2 hour CLE on Estate Planning & Charitable Giving on Thursday, August 25 from 6-8 p.m. in the Large Conference Room of the Iowa City Area Chamber of Commerce, 325 East Washington Street (downtown IC, at corner of Washington and Gilbert).
Pizza will be provided!
In this fast paced and interactive session, Gordon will present six different scenarios involving real life clients and their estate planning needs. Through use of these 6 case studies, Gordon will address:
· the basics facts everyone should know about estate planning
· Endow Iowa Tax Credit program
· charitable gift annuities
· charitable remainder trusts
· charitable lead trusts
· estate planning and charitable giving with retirement benefit plans
· estate planning and charitable giving with closed corporation stock and assets.
Attendees should be willing to fill out a survey about the CLE presentation.
To reserve your spot and so that Gordon orders enough pizzas, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hon. Jane Spande will be retiring Friday, September 2, 2016, after 31 years of administering justice in the Sixth Judicial District. The court will be celebrating her retirement with an informal food day (location TBA) Wednesday, August 31. Please click Judge Spande’s Retirement Announcement for more information.
Judges are needed for this year’s Middle School Regional Mock Trial Competition on Saturday, October 29 at the Linn County Courthouse. (NOTE: New location from last year!) Volunteers are needed for approximately 60 attorney judge slots. No experience is necessary. There will be four rounds: 8 a.m., 10:30 a.m., 1 p.m., and 3:30 p.m. You can sign up to judge more than one round. Beverages and snacks will be provided for the attorney volunteers.
There are several reasons why this would be a great year in particular for local lawyers to participate:
- There is not an Iowa Football game on 10/29
- The competition will be at the Linn County Courthouse in real courtrooms for the first time since the flood of 2008
- Judge Bruns is working hard to recruit real judges for every round so any lawyer who agrees to judge will have the opportunity to serve on a panel with a real judge and get some quality face time.