The LCBA will be holding its second social hour with members of the bench on Tuesday, August 30 starting 4:30 p.m. at White Star Alehouse.
Hon. Jane Spande will be retiring Friday, September 2, 2016, after 31 years of administering justice in the Sixth Judicial District. The court will be celebrating her retirement with an Open House in Courtroom 1-C at the Linn County Courthouse on Wednesday, August 31. Please click Judge Spande’s Retirement Announcement for more information.
The Magistrate/Associate District Court Nominating Commission announced three finalists August 26 for the position of Associate District Court Judge to fill the vacancy caused by the retirement of the Honorable Jane Spande. The finalists are:
– Justin Lightfoot
– Nicholas Scott
– Michael Lahammer
The District Court Judges for the Sixth Judicial District shall convene at 1:30 p.m. on Wednesday, August 31 to select the next Associate District Court Judge from the finalists.
Attorney Gordon Fischer is presenting a free 2 hour CLE on Estate Planning & Charitable Giving on Thursday, August 25 from 6-8 p.m. in the Large Conference Room of the Iowa City Area Chamber of Commerce, 325 East Washington Street (downtown IC, at corner of Washington and Gilbert).
Pizza will be provided!
In this fast paced and interactive session, Gordon will present six different scenarios involving real life clients and their estate planning needs. Through use of these 6 case studies, Gordon will address:
· the basics facts everyone should know about estate planning
· Endow Iowa Tax Credit program
· charitable gift annuities
· charitable remainder trusts
· charitable lead trusts
· estate planning and charitable giving with retirement benefit plans
· estate planning and charitable giving with closed corporation stock and assets.
Attendees should be willing to fill out a survey about the CLE presentation.
To reserve your spot and so that Gordon orders enough pizzas, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hon. Jane Spande will be retiring Friday, September 2, 2016, after 31 years of administering justice in the Sixth Judicial District. The court will be celebrating her retirement with an informal food day (location TBA) Wednesday, August 31. Please click Judge Spande’s Retirement Announcement for more information.
Judges are needed for this year’s Middle School Regional Mock Trial Competition on Saturday, October 29 at the Linn County Courthouse. (NOTE: New location from last year!) Volunteers are needed for approximately 60 attorney judge slots. No experience is necessary. There will be four rounds: 8 a.m., 10:30 a.m., 1 p.m., and 3:30 p.m. You can sign up to judge more than one round. Beverages and snacks will be provided for the attorney volunteers.
There are several reasons why this would be a great year in particular for local lawyers to participate:
- There is not an Iowa Football game on 10/29
- The competition will be at the Linn County Courthouse in real courtrooms for the first time since the flood of 2008
- Judge Bruns is working hard to recruit real judges for every round so any lawyer who agrees to judge will have the opportunity to serve on a panel with a real judge and get some quality face time.