Attorney Gordon Fischer is presenting a free 2 hour CLE on Estate Planning & Charitable Giving on Thursday, August 25 from 6-8 p.m. in the Large Conference Room of the Iowa City Area Chamber of Commerce, 325 East Washington Street (downtown IC, at corner of Washington and Gilbert).
Pizza will be provided!
In this fast paced and interactive session, Gordon will present six different scenarios involving real life clients and their estate planning needs. Through use of these 6 case studies, Gordon will address:
· the basics facts everyone should know about estate planning
· Endow Iowa Tax Credit program
· charitable gift annuities
· charitable remainder trusts
· charitable lead trusts
· estate planning and charitable giving with retirement benefit plans
· estate planning and charitable giving with closed corporation stock and assets.
Attendees should be willing to fill out a survey about the CLE presentation.
To reserve your spot and so that Gordon orders enough pizzas, please email email@example.com.
Hon. Jane Spande will be retiring Friday, September 2, 2016, after 31 years of administering justice in the Sixth Judicial District. The court will be celebrating her retirement with an informal food day (location TBA) Wednesday, August 31. Please click Judge Spande’s Retirement Announcement for more information.
Judges are needed for this year’s Middle School Regional Mock Trial Competition on Saturday, October 29 at the Linn County Courthouse. (NOTE: New location from last year!) Volunteers are needed for approximately 60 attorney judge slots. No experience is necessary. There will be four rounds: 8 a.m., 10:30 a.m., 1 p.m., and 3:30 p.m. You can sign up to judge more than one round. Beverages and snacks will be provided for the attorney volunteers.
There are several reasons why this would be a great year in particular for local lawyers to participate:
- There is not an Iowa Football game on 10/29
- The competition will be at the Linn County Courthouse in real courtrooms for the first time since the flood of 2008
- Judge Bruns is working hard to recruit real judges for every round so any lawyer who agrees to judge will have the opportunity to serve on a panel with a real judge and get some quality face time.
More detailed information will be provided to judges before the event. If you are able to volunteer, please contact Jenni Semelroth at firstname.lastname@example.org or 319-329-5536.
The Sixth Judicial District Court Administrator has issued a MEMO regarding a change in the summary judgment procedure. Effective September 1, 2016, the court will no longer issue a “warning shot” order when a party has not filed a response to a Motion for Summary Judgment. Click here to read the memo.
The July 2016 Scriptum has been published! CLICK HERE TO READ IT.
A reception will be held Thursday, July 28 at the Linn County Courthouse to celebrate the retirement of Hon. Robert Sosalla. To celebrate, the court will be holding an informal “food day”. The specific courtroom will be announced at a later date.