Periodically, the Linn County Bar Association Charitable Donations Committee distributes grants to nonprofit organizations. The committee that reviews requests for these funds has the following objectives to determine which organizations will receive funding:
Objectives of LCBA Charitable Donation:
- To support organizations or entities that provide legal services to individuals in Linn County who would otherwise be under or unrepresented in our judicial system.
- To support organizations, projects or entities that make the judicial system in Linn County more accessible to the public.
- To promote the development, recognition, understanding and appreciation of the legal profession in Linn County.
Here is the 2016 LCBA Charitable Contribution Committee Funding Request Form.
All applications must be returned no later than October 7, 2016 via mail to Gary Streit, Shuttleworth &Ingersoll, P.L.C., P.O. Box 2107, Cedar Rapids, IA 52406, or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Sixth Judicial District Court Administrator has issued a memo reminding counsel to notify the court as soon as settlements are reached. Click here to read the memo.
The LCBA will be holding its second social hour with members of the bench on Tuesday, August 30 starting 4:30 p.m. at White Star Alehouse.
Hon. Jane Spande will be retiring Friday, September 2, 2016, after 31 years of administering justice in the Sixth Judicial District. The court will be celebrating her retirement with an Open House in Courtroom 1-C at the Linn County Courthouse on Wednesday, August 31. Please click Judge Spande’s Retirement Announcement for more information.
The Magistrate/Associate District Court Nominating Commission announced three finalists August 26 for the position of Associate District Court Judge to fill the vacancy caused by the retirement of the Honorable Jane Spande. The finalists are:
– Justin Lightfoot
– Nicholas Scott
– Michael Lahammer
The District Court Judges for the Sixth Judicial District shall convene at 1:30 p.m. on Wednesday, August 31 to select the next Associate District Court Judge from the finalists.
Attorney Gordon Fischer is presenting a free 2 hour CLE on Estate Planning & Charitable Giving on Thursday, August 25 from 6-8 p.m. in the Large Conference Room of the Iowa City Area Chamber of Commerce, 325 East Washington Street (downtown IC, at corner of Washington and Gilbert).
Pizza will be provided!
In this fast paced and interactive session, Gordon will present six different scenarios involving real life clients and their estate planning needs. Through use of these 6 case studies, Gordon will address:
· the basics facts everyone should know about estate planning
· Endow Iowa Tax Credit program
· charitable gift annuities
· charitable remainder trusts
· charitable lead trusts
· estate planning and charitable giving with retirement benefit plans
· estate planning and charitable giving with closed corporation stock and assets.
Attendees should be willing to fill out a survey about the CLE presentation.
To reserve your spot and so that Gordon orders enough pizzas, please email email@example.com.
Hon. Jane Spande will be retiring Friday, September 2, 2016, after 31 years of administering justice in the Sixth Judicial District. The court will be celebrating her retirement with an informal food day (location TBA) Wednesday, August 31. Please click Judge Spande’s Retirement Announcement for more information.